Kaufman Astoria Studios has been making entertainment history for more than 90 years. Its doors were opened by the legendary Adolph Zukor in 1920. Eventually, the studio became a home for Paramount Pictures, and during the next 20 years, over 120 silent and sound films were produced at the studio.
At the start of WWII, the studio was taken over by the U.S. Signal Corps and became known as the Army Pictorial Center. During this time the studio was occupied for the filming and development of Army training and indoctrination films. The building eventually fell into disuse, until a non-profit foundation re-opened the big stage in 1977 for the production of “The Wiz.”
In 1980, New York City turned to real estate developer George S. Kaufman to renovate, expand and revive this national landmark. Working with many interested organizations, he was able to achieve his vision of a full-service, comprehensive studio capable of handling any type, size and style of production.
Today, KAS is the location for major motion pictures, independent film, television shows and commercials. Our stages have been graced by actors such as Harrison Ford, Matt Damon, Ben Stiller, Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Tom Hanks, Bill Cosby, Demi Moore and many other esteemed stars. Kaufman has also been the chosen production location of prominent directors including Martin Scorsese, Sydney Lumet, Norman Jewison, Woody Allen, Francis Ford Coppola, and Paul Greengrass.